Saturday, June 28, 2014

Flip Flop Wreath

I have seen these different wreaths made out of flip flops and I really wanted to try it.  I picked up the supplies at the Dollar Tree. Below is a photo of the colorful flip flops.


I then took the green pool noodle and threaded a piece of yarn inside.  The last time I made a wreath with a pool noodle the Mississippi heat made the pool noodle loose its shape.  So now I thread yarn in it and time a tight not to pull it together and make it stronger not sure how well it works.

Then I took some packing tape and curved the pool noodle into a circle. Normally I would cover the pool noodle but, I liked the color so I left it.
First I laid the shoes out in the design I wanted, then I took hot glue on the sides and connected them all. Sorry forgot to take a photo of this step.  From there I took hot glue all over the wreath and placed the shoes on it.  After that I took some orange tulle and weaved it around the shoes.

I liked it but, it needed more.  So I weaved some pink tulle around with the orange.  Then between the shoes I tied orange and pink tulle.

My husband came up with the idea of putting a plate in the center and decorating the plate.  We found these green plates at the Dollar Tree a pack of four for $1.00

We also picked up this small pack of foam.  I thought if I could cut the foam with my Silhouette Cameo I would glue the foam on the plate instead of using vinyl.

My plan was to put some flowers on the flip flops but, when we did that it was too busy for us.
I found this website that gave instructions on how to cut foam using the Silhouette and it worked perfectly. http://ameliaandme.com/cutting-foam-with-your-silhouette/

Here are the instructions for cutting foam using the Silhouette Cameo.


Things you need:
  1. Silhouette Cameo
  2. Cutting mat
  3. Craft foam
  4. Glue
Change the settings
  1. Blade on 10
  2. Heavy Card stock
  3. Cutting speed – 1
  4. Double cutting
*Update on using foam in the Silhouette Cameo.
The foam that I purchased from the dollar tree is thin and it works perfectly, using the instructions above. 
It is 10.1 cm x 15.2 cm.


Then I purchased some foam thinking it was as thin and it only cut the top, it did not cut all the way through.  I actually did the double cut twice which is four times and it still did not cut.  Not only that but, the Silhouette seemed to bog down a bit. 
13.9 cm x 21.5 cm this is just too thick.
 
 So my advice if you want to cut foam, use 10.1 cm x 15.2 cm or thinner and you should have no problems.  Anything thicker and you will run into issues.

I cut out a chair and a beach umbrella then I took the word relax and curved it on the chair and cut it out in foam.  Glued all the foam pieces together and then glued them on the plate.

From there we lined everything up and glued the plate to the wreath.  We put the design on the back so when we glued it, the plate would come through more. and the rim of the plate would sit on the flip flops.

Here is the completed project.  I love how it turned out.





4 comments:

  1. Love your flip flop wreath! What a fun and colorful project. Thanks so much for visiting http://ameliaandme.com/ and for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer for stopping by. I was so happy to find your blog and the information on the foam. I have learned that it really needs to be the thin foam in order for it to cut.

      Delete
  2. Love this wreath!! I may just have to visit my Dollar Tree and pick up the stuff to make it! Thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, thank you for stopping by and for your comment. I love the Dollar Tree you just never know what you will find.

      Delete