Sunday, May 18, 2014

Steps for vinyl on glass cutting board.

On May 10th I posted the Mother's day gift that I had made for my mom.  I am now posting the directions for this project.

I first took and washed and dried the cutting board then I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol.  The cutting board has a smooth side and a bumpy side.  You can put the vinyl on either side, it just depends on what side you plan on using for cutting. 

I did this using my Silhouette Cameo machine, you will need to mirror your image you are putting it on the side you do not plan on cutting on then it will show through on the other side that is why you need to mirror your image.

The image I used came from the silhouette online store and it is Design ID #59359 called customizable kitchen sign by Megan Hardy Designs.  I like this design I did not have to split the design in order to add a name. Here is a photo of the design after it was cut and weeded. 



Here are the measurements so that the design can be centered.

Cutting Board                  Design                           
    Width                            Width                                                Remainder                                              
       15"           -                   11 1/4"              =                                3    3/4"


Take the remainder and  divide by 2 for the measurement for each side.
Remainder
  3  3/4"        Divided by   2 =  1   7/8 "    For each side.


Cutting Board                Design
    Width                           Width                                                  Remainder
      
     12"           -                   8  5/8"                 =                              3   3/8"          

Take the remainder and  divide by 2 for the measurement for top and bottom.
Remainder
  3  3/8"        Divided by   2 =  1  11/16 "    For top and bottom.

We Then took painters tape to mark off the measurements so we would know where to place the design.
                              
 From there we put transfer tape on the design.
 Then we placed the design on the cutting board and lined it up with the painters tape.  Once it was lined up we pushed the design down and carefully pulled up the transfer tape.

Once this part of the design was all set we then placed the name down.  We measured the space from top to bottom and side to side.  This will vary depending on what you are putting in the center. The first one I did I put Nana's Kitchen the second one I did I put G-Ma's Kitchen.

Here is a photo of the entire design as you can see it is mirrored so that it shows up correctly will you flip the cutting board over. 

I let it sit for 24 hours then I took a blow dryer to it on a low speed not too close.  This was done to have the vinyl adhere a little more to the cutting board.

Here it is the finished product. I would hand wash and dry.



13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the tutorial! What kind of vinyl did you use and where is the best place to purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin,

      Below, is the vinyl that I used for this project, I know many people say to use Oracle and they have different numbers for outdoor and indoor. I am still new at this but, I purchased this vinyl from Amazon and this vinyl states that it is durable for 3 years outside and 5 years inside. It is a glossy vinyl and I like it.

      12" x 12" - 30 Sheets of Assorted Glossy Colors of Permanent Adhesive-Backed Vinyl

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081T6MJK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

      Hope this helps you out.

      Delete
  2. Where did you purchase the cutting board? I'm not having any success finding a clear cutting board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cutting board was purchased at Wal-Mart for $5.97

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Denise Roberson, sorry I somehow I deleted your message. I have copied it below.

      I have a Cricut Machine and I was just wandering if you can cut these images with a Cricut or do you have to use the Silhouette Cameo machine? I'm new to all of this and I'm just trying to learn what if any can be used by both cutting machines. Thanks




      I just wanted to let you know that I have not used the Circut machine, the only machine I have used is the Silhouette Cameo. I am still learning, sorry I could not be better help for you.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. The image I used came from the silhouette online store and it is Design ID #59359 called customizable kitchen sign by Megan Hardy Designs.

      Delete
  5. Did you put some type of sealer over the design to protect it when being handled or wiped down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, did not see your message it did not show up in my email.
      No sealer on it, the vinyl is on the back. I hand wash and do not let it soak in water.

      Delete
  6. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete